An antagonist just informed me that the Catholic priesthood is not “biblical” because the Bible reads:
But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, God’s own people, that you many declare the wonderful deeds of him who called you out of darkness into his marvelous light (1 Peter 2:9).
If Protestantism entertained the entirety of Scripture to develop its theology instead of finding apparent proof-texts that fit a pre-conceived bigotry, then the verse, … and you shall be to me a kingdom of priests, a holy nation(Exodus 19:6), a description of the people of Israel, would make some sort of impact; would reveal that the established, ordained, legitimate priesthood of the Old Covenant was not usurped by the Old Covenant laity. In parallel, St. Peter nearly quoted word-for-word of what would become the “Old Testament” Scriptures. Under the Old Covenant, the entire assembly (ekklesia) was a royal priesthood and a holy nation, and yet they acknowledged the legitimacy of the ministerial priesthood. So too, the entire New Covenant assembly (ekklesia) is a royal priesthood and a holy nation, and still contains a legitimate ministerial priesthood—and it was none other than St. Peter, the first pope, who so clearly referenced that reality within his letter—a clear reference that is rarely, if ever, acknowledged by the Protestant academy.
The existence of St. Peter’s letter, which actually supports Catholic ecclesiology (governance) when allowed to exist within the context that St. Peter alluded, is a result of an already established proper ecclesiology. In other words, the Church’s laity recognized St. Peter’s role as a priest with authority, or else his letter would not be respected as authoritative; the ministerial priesthood that he was a part of was not usurped by the holy nation of believers.
• "Your website is a troll." "You son of Satan."
-Scott J. Shifferd, Dean Road Church of Christ
• "Pax [(he thinks "pax" means "Pat" and not "peace")] cannot do us no harm and that why he wont fly to Martinsville not unless we foot he bill [to debate me on my television show]. . . . Really now I just want you to man up and bring your false doctrine to the airwaves but You and me know that wont happen because all you can do is play book writer and site master. You take that book momey Buy a plane tickey then we post it all on youtube how about that?"
-Johnny Robertson, founder of Church of Christ WDTBS Television Show
• "You are not a model of ethicality."
-Neal Pollard, Bear Valley Church of Christ; instructor at Bear Valley Bible Institute
• "Patrick Vandapool you will pay for your crimes against God." "You and your Church are condemned, better accept the Gospel and leave your Church before you die in your sins. you are an alien sinner!" "Your brainwashed." "Your site is a propaganda site." Your not a true Christian." "Your a fool... . I never called you a fool."
-John Riddle; "well tranned priest of the Lord's Church"
• "Are you an unmarried man under 25? Your writing style and wisdom match such a profile."
-Steve Rudd, Hamilton Church of Christ; founder of CofC propaganda website bible.ca
• "You have to be the most immature person that I've ever "met" in WordPress, and that includes the atheists, by which in overwhelming numbers show more common courtesy and respect that you. Are you 10 years old? ...if that's what your readers enjoy then it says as much about them as it does you."
-Eugene Adkins, Keltonburg Church of Christ