The Protestant Church of Christ objects to a concept of Original Sin.
The Protestant Church of Christ uses Ezekiel 18:20 as a proof-text, which reads: The son shall not suffer for the iniquity of the father. Ezekiel was not arguing against the idea of Original Sin; he was addressing sin in accordance to the Law—it was a legal point. So when balanced with the full corpus of Scripture, the historical (= Catholic) understanding is most reasonable, and your group’s theology is based on one verse that is forced to be incongruous with the remainder of Scripture.
If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us (1 John 1:8), and the Catholic Church of Christ has always maintained an acknowledgement of how people are brought forth in iniquity (Psalm 51:5), and that by nature we are children of wrath (Ephesians 2:3). Protestantism’s denial of Original Sin is modern—even the original Reformers recognized that the Scriptures support the historical teaching, but of course, most of the original Reformers also recognized the validity (and necessity) of an infant’s Baptism. But of course, you are not Catholic, you are not “Protestant”, you are, as you say, simply “Christian”.
But I must ask, on what grounds are your ministers’ interpretation of the Bible more credible than the Catholic Church’s or any other Protestant group’s interpretation? Why do you default to saying we have no sin, to believing that most of Christian history was less informed than your restorers?
It is clear that the recognition of Original Sin does provide a reason for infants to be washed in Baptism, so it is equally clear as to why a group, such as yours, prefers the showmanship of public conversion to trump the quietness, and in-house characteristics of an infant’s Baptism. Your apologists often suggest that the Catholic Church developed the idea of Original Sin to justify its “unbiblical” practice of granting Baptism to infants, but it is clear that from even the earliest days the Church has acknowledged thatthe imagination of a man’s heart is evil from his youth (Genesis 8:21), and even some of the Catholic Church’s most staunch enemies have concurred, and agreed with St. Paul, who taught, For as in Adam all die, so also in Christ shall all be made alive (1 Corinthians 15:22), and that sin came into the world through one man, and then spread to all men (Romans 5:12). But your group believeswe have no sin, and that infants have somehow, without the grace of Baptism, been made alive.
St. Paul taught, For as by one man’s disobedience many were made sinners, so by one man’s obedience many will be made righteous (Romans 5:19). Was St. Paul not speaking of the Fall, of Adam’s sin? Is there a reasonable exegesis of the entirety of Scripture that can deny the existence of Original Sin? I know of none, and the vast majority of Christians throughout history know of none, but your group denies it and has determined that it knows best. Your group does not bring its infants to Jesus to be made alive and made righteous, it hinders, and it waits.
• "Your website is a troll." "You son of Satan."
-Scott J. Shifferd, Dean Road Church of Christ
• "Pax [(he thinks "pax" means "Pat" and not "peace")] cannot do us no harm and that why he wont fly to Martinsville not unless we foot he bill [to debate me on my television show]. . . . Really now I just want you to man up and bring your false doctrine to the airwaves but You and me know that wont happen because all you can do is play book writer and site master. You take that book momey Buy a plane tickey then we post it all on youtube how about that?"
-Johnny Robertson, founder of Church of Christ WDTBS Television Show
• "You are not a model of ethicality."
-Neal Pollard, Bear Valley Church of Christ; instructor at Bear Valley Bible Institute
• "Patrick Vandapool you will pay for your crimes against God." "You and your Church are condemned, better accept the Gospel and leave your Church before you die in your sins. you are an alien sinner!" "Your brainwashed." "Your site is a propaganda site." Your not a true Christian." "Your a fool... . I never called you a fool."
-John Riddle; "well tranned priest of the Lord's Church"
• "Are you an unmarried man under 25? Your writing style and wisdom match such a profile."
-Steve Rudd, Hamilton Church of Christ; founder of CofC propaganda website bible.ca
• "You have to be the most immature person that I've ever "met" in WordPress, and that includes the atheists, by which in overwhelming numbers show more common courtesy and respect that you. Are you 10 years old? ...if that's what your readers enjoy then it says as much about them as it does you."
-Eugene Adkins, Keltonburg Church of Christ