Local Protestant Church of Christ (CofC) preacher / Radio talk show host Chris Peltz (who is affiliated with one of the Internet’s most embarrassing apologetics websites: biblequestions.org) recently told his radio audience, “The Catholics did not give us the Bible. God did!” (Those were his precise words as best as I can recall.) Catholics in dialogue with our separated brethren have heard the same blanket denial many times. And predictably, he and most members of the CofC use the same fall-back Bible passages as “proof”: all Scripture is God-breathed (2 Timothy 3:16 NIV), and men spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit (2 Peter 1:21 NIV).
The Catholic Church of Christ agrees with your group (or rather, your group agrees with the Catholic Church); God gave the world the Bible! The Catholic Church, however, does not rely on an unreflective and simplistic dismissal—a denial of the fact that God gave the world the Bible by using the Christian Church as its deliverer. Yes, all scripture is inspired by God, . . . carried along by the Holy Spirit (2 Timothy 3:16 RSV; 2 Peter 1:21 NIV), but the Catholic Church recognizes the fact that God chose specific men who were moved by the Holy Spirit and who spoke from God (2 Peter 1:21 RSV). The holy men of Godwho spoke (Douay-Rheims) were real, were in communion with a specific primitive ecclesial structure, and that structure was the house of God, the Church of the living God, the pillar and ground of truth(1 Timothy 3:15 RSV). Do you believe your community is the pillar and ground of truth, or do you believe that the Protestant canon of Scripture is thepillar and ground of truth? Can you deny your principle—that the Bible is your purported “sole authority”—and appeal tothe house of God for religious truth? Does the language of the inspired text not suggest that it is the Catholic Church who was, and is, the agent whom God chose, and chooses, to deliver His written word?
Thehouse of God is real, and it is Catholic. Is it not the Catholic Church who calls herself the house of God? Is it not the Catholic house of God that, as proved by her own writing in this very verse, appeals to a body of inspired men and not the “Bible only”? Does your community follow this pattern?
Did Jesus’ Incarnation not involve a woman? Are you also so threatened by Mary’s “Catholic” characteristics that you cannot admit that she was the deliverer of the Deliverer, or that she was even real! Would it be honest to argue that God did not choose a specific woman as the ark who would tent Jesus and deliver the Word Incarnate? Was the Holy Spirit who would come upon her and overshadow her (Luke 1:35) a different spirit than He who carried along the holy men of God? But your group denies the fact that theholy mento whom God entrusted to present His God-breathed (2 Timothy 3:16 NIV) Holy Writ were Catholic, but rather, were either unimportant vessels who are not worthy of the honor that the God-breathed texts ascribe to them, or were latent and pre-existent Protestant Church of Christ sympathizers. Put differently, the denial of the Catholic Church’s intrinsic involvement with God’s gift of Christian Scripture is as vapid as suggesting that Jesus was not sent forth . . . , born of a woman (Galatians 4:4).
AllCatholic generations call Maryblessed (Luke 1:48), and all Catholic generations know where the Bible came from as well. The few generations of Restorationist Christians who have walked the earth have never called Mary blessed (is she not “just another woman” to you?), so it would be quite out of character if your group were to thank the Church for her motherhood in delivering the written word of God.
• "Your website is a troll." "You son of Satan."
-Scott J. Shifferd, Dean Road Church of Christ
• "Pax [(he thinks "pax" means "Pat" and not "peace")] cannot do us no harm and that why he wont fly to Martinsville not unless we foot he bill [to debate me on my television show]. . . . Really now I just want you to man up and bring your false doctrine to the airwaves but You and me know that wont happen because all you can do is play book writer and site master. You take that book momey Buy a plane tickey then we post it all on youtube how about that?"
-Johnny Robertson, founder of Church of Christ WDTBS Television Show
• "You are not a model of ethicality."
-Neal Pollard, Bear Valley Church of Christ; instructor at Bear Valley Bible Institute
• "Patrick Vandapool you will pay for your crimes against God." "You and your Church are condemned, better accept the Gospel and leave your Church before you die in your sins. you are an alien sinner!" "Your brainwashed." "Your site is a propaganda site." Your not a true Christian." "Your a fool... . I never called you a fool."
-John Riddle; "well tranned priest of the Lord's Church"
• "Are you an unmarried man under 25? Your writing style and wisdom match such a profile."
-Steve Rudd, Hamilton Church of Christ; founder of CofC propaganda website bible.ca
• "You have to be the most immature person that I've ever "met" in WordPress, and that includes the atheists, by which in overwhelming numbers show more common courtesy and respect that you. Are you 10 years old? ...if that's what your readers enjoy then it says as much about them as it does you."
-Eugene Adkins, Keltonburg Church of Christ