[From p. 95 The Noble Bereans Were Catholic] Wrapped within the context of St. Timothy (v. 14) as theman of God (v. 17), the passage’s end goal, the salvation of souls, is presented as intrinsically linked to the work of the priest. So, either the Catholic understanding, which incorporates a recognition of St. Paul’s audience and structure, or your understanding, which assumes that the passage is written for individual edification, is correct. . . . an analysis of what, precisely, the man of God actual is, should tip your scale.
Most biblical uses of the phrase man of Godare found in the Old Testament. The only other New Testament occurrence of the phrase is found in 1 Timothy: But as for you, man of God, shun all this; aim in righteousness, godliness, faith, love, steadfastness, gentleness(6:11). St. Paul, again, was writing to St. Timothy and specifically called him, not the rank and file believer, man of God.
Every Old Testament use of the phrase was consistent with St. Paul’s use, or rather; St. Paul was consistent with the already-established phraseology. The Old Testament’s use of the phrase is used to describe a man with a special status or mission from God (cf. Deuteronomy 33:1; Joshua 14:6; 1 Samuel 9:6-10; 2:27; 1 Kings 13; 17:18,24; 2 Kings 1:9-13; 4:7, 27, 42: 5:8-15; 1 Chronicles 23:14; 2 Chronicles 25:7,9; 2 Chronicles 30:1; Ezra 3:2; Nehemiah 12:24,36; Psalms 40:1; Jeremiah 35:4). It is clear, then, that St. Paul was primarily referring to St. Timothy, and secondarily to other priests (men of God) of like eminence in both 1 Timothy 6:11 and 2 Timothy 3:14-17. As such, the subject that Scripture makes complete (the priests’ work), keeps a proper Christian conduit of delivery: legitimately ordained priests.
• "Your website is a troll." "You son of Satan."
-Scott J. Shifferd, Dean Road Church of Christ
• "Pax [(he thinks "pax" means "Pat" and not "peace")] cannot do us no harm and that why he wont fly to Martinsville not unless we foot he bill [to debate me on my television show]. . . . Really now I just want you to man up and bring your false doctrine to the airwaves but You and me know that wont happen because all you can do is play book writer and site master. You take that book momey Buy a plane tickey then we post it all on youtube how about that?"
-Johnny Robertson, founder of Church of Christ WDTBS Television Show
• "You are not a model of ethicality."
-Neal Pollard, Bear Valley Church of Christ; instructor at Bear Valley Bible Institute
• "Patrick Vandapool you will pay for your crimes against God." "You and your Church are condemned, better accept the Gospel and leave your Church before you die in your sins. you are an alien sinner!" "Your brainwashed." "Your site is a propaganda site." Your not a true Christian." "Your a fool... . I never called you a fool."
-John Riddle; "well tranned priest of the Lord's Church"
• "Are you an unmarried man under 25? Your writing style and wisdom match such a profile."
-Steve Rudd, Hamilton Church of Christ; founder of CofC propaganda website bible.ca
• "You have to be the most immature person that I've ever "met" in WordPress, and that includes the atheists, by which in overwhelming numbers show more common courtesy and respect that you. Are you 10 years old? ...if that's what your readers enjoy then it says as much about them as it does you."
-Eugene Adkins, Keltonburg Church of Christ