The Creed provides unity and identity. People who visit the Catholic Church of Christ do not need to read the minds of any Church leader to learn what the Church believes; the Creed is available to everyone. Members of the Church all confess – some more sincerely than others – to the same one Creed. The Creed is not Scripture; it is a confession of faith. (Remember, “creed” means “belief”.) Like the Creed, the Catechism of the Catholic Church is not Scripture; it is an explanation of the Creed, it is the Church’s exegesis (its interpretation) of the Scriptures. All Christians have a creed, whether it is written down or not. The Church has the responsibility to declare the gospel, to explain it, to make it accessible.
The Protestant Church of Christ’s creedless creed creates confusion. The “Bible only” means nothing because the “Bible only” means anything; people see different things in the Scriptures. Today, more traditional members of your communities are concerned about some influential members who are advocating a newer approach – a newer tenet of your Faith: that Baptism is not for the remission of sins. (For more, see the always charitable CofC blogger Paul Smith’s article here.) Both Protestant Church of Christ positions can be derived from “the Bible only”, but both cannot be correct. And, of course, both camps would insist that “the Bible only” is their Rule of Faith.
The Protestant Church of Christ will inevitably become more divided, and the world will not be able to point towards a provably authentic Protestant Church of Christ. “No creed but the Bible” has undermined your groups’ quest for “biblical Christianity”.
The Creed – the Creed that has served to provide unity and identity for centuries – states, “We acknowledge one baptism for the remission of sins.” If a Catholic states otherwise, then she is clearly not representing Catholicism, and the world knows it. And if anyone is confused by the Creed’s simplicity, the Catechism is organized to explain it in further detail. Thank God for a Church that has not been orphaned, for a Church that understands that through the Church, not the “Bible only”, the manifold wisdom of God might be known (Ephesians 3:10). Thank God for a Church that confesses the same one Lord, one faith, and one baptism (Ephesians 4:5) for the remission of sins.
• "Your website is a troll." "You son of Satan."
-Scott J. Shifferd, Dean Road Church of Christ
• "Pax [(he thinks "pax" means "Pat" and not "peace")] cannot do us no harm and that why he wont fly to Martinsville not unless we foot he bill [to debate me on my television show]. . . . Really now I just want you to man up and bring your false doctrine to the airwaves but You and me know that wont happen because all you can do is play book writer and site master. You take that book momey Buy a plane tickey then we post it all on youtube how about that?"
-Johnny Robertson, founder of Church of Christ WDTBS Television Show
• "You are not a model of ethicality."
-Neal Pollard, Bear Valley Church of Christ; instructor at Bear Valley Bible Institute
• "Patrick Vandapool you will pay for your crimes against God." "You and your Church are condemned, better accept the Gospel and leave your Church before you die in your sins. you are an alien sinner!" "Your brainwashed." "Your site is a propaganda site." Your not a true Christian." "Your a fool... . I never called you a fool."
-John Riddle; "well tranned priest of the Lord's Church"
• "Are you an unmarried man under 25? Your writing style and wisdom match such a profile."
-Steve Rudd, Hamilton Church of Christ; founder of CofC propaganda website bible.ca
• "You have to be the most immature person that I've ever "met" in WordPress, and that includes the atheists, by which in overwhelming numbers show more common courtesy and respect that you. Are you 10 years old? ...if that's what your readers enjoy then it says as much about them as it does you."
-Eugene Adkins, Keltonburg Church of Christ